The Arsenal team doesn’t believe‏

Like many of you I watched the game over the weekend and was disappointed with the result. Going to Anfield for the first game of the new season was always going to be hard, but to our credit the first half we played really well. With Arsenal I always wonder what Arsenal will turn up, sadly for the second half, despite Liverpool being down to 10 men it was the disinterested Arsenal that made an appearance.

As soon as Joe Cole went off I knew we were in for a tough game. Liverpool would shut up shop and we’d have problems, as always trying to walk the ball into the back of the net. The equalizer however was a stoke of luck, every time I look at the replay I can’t help but feel Pepe Reina deliberately scored that own goal. I guess that’s just me being overly optimistic and dreaming that he is our new keeper wanting to make sure we didn’t miss out on the points. Yeah I know conspiracy theory stuff but let me dream, at least until the end of the month.

What was clear from the game however is how jaded the team look, not jaded in the sense of the start of a new season after playing the world cup kind of jaded, but jaded as in lack of belief that they can win. Wenger giving them constant reassurance and telling them how good they are is not working.

I know the subject of transfers is a bone of contention with Arsenal fans, and every AKB this side of the M25 is going to quote Chamakh and Koscielny as new signings, but what we need is a world class signing that makes the team think ‘wow I am playing with…’

World class signings are not just always about keeping the fans happy, I really believe that making a decent quality signing, be it a keeper, defender or midfielder would give the team a massive confident boost and help inject some belief into this squad. Without it, I don’t think this team believes they can win.

By BigL
Debate this more on our forum - www.arsenalaction.com/forum/

About admin

Comments

1. Trennon says:

I’m trying to stay optimistic that there will be a couple of players coming in before the close of the window, hopefully before the next game. Stop dreaming though, because it will definitely not be “world class”. Look at City. Despite all their money, they haven’t signed a world class player either!

2. North for Short says:

This for once is a decent article and not slagging off The Arsenal Management team. I would like to clarify though what do you mean world class signings. Are these established players on exhorbirant wages at their present club or players that you believe are world class that are ready available. I think you find that a lot of the transfer dealings go on behind closed doors because as soon as we announce that we are after a player, the price can double (Jerzy Dudek is one I can think of). When I was a lad (back in the 70’s ) I used to follow regluary my team and in that team were littered great players but not I would call world class players. (I suppose you could argue the case for Alan Ball but he joined a very aging Arsenal team and we struggled). Brian Kidd was for me a Wow! signing as he played for Manchester United and I knew that he was good. Nethertheless, I still enjoyed watching my team (no SKY then, only F A Cup finals and you watched them vbecause they were live!) at Highbury and the odd away game.
    Because Chelsea have started a new trend by buying whoever they wanted and City are doing the same to some extent, I don’t really want that to happen to Arsenal. I agree some of the players on Sunday could have put in a better shift (Arshavin) but I still cheered on who we had and if we get a couple of extra players between now and the end of the Transfer Window, all well and good, if not, C’est la vie, we just have to get on with it. Nothing will change. If you got rid of Arsene Wenger ( The man who steered us to 2 doubles, 5 F a Cup final appearances, 2 European Finals, an unbeaten season and a brand new stadium which is state of the art) and brought in someone else, what guarantees that a top flight manager would come to the Emirates if they had limited spending power and could they deliver a trophy to appease the so called fans who can’t seem to wait. The media harp on about Arsenal being trophyless for five seasons, ask Liverpool fans what they would rather want, another trophy or the Permiership and how about Portsmouth, Hull and Burnley fans what they want. I think that some Arsenal fans should get real and support the team, no matter who is playing in that red and white jersey or in goal.

3. cj says:

Are you serious? A draw at anfield and you we’re disappointed? You obviously have your head so far up your Wenger hating ass that you cannot see what a good result and platform that is. And before you dismiss me as a ‘AKB’ I’m not. It was the first game of the season. Even that dozey twat Andy Grey acknowledged teams need 4 to 5 games to find a rhythm. Yes there are issues but just calling for signings for the sake of signings is nonsense.

Henry, Toure, Pires, Freddie, Viera, Petit, Lauren would any have them counted as ‘new signings’ when they were made?

“World class signings are not just always about keeping the fans happy” they should never be about “keeping the fans happy”. Top drawer defenders are thin on the ground as are keepers so have a bit of patience and make these comments 10 games in if its not going well.

Im sick of reading blogs written by folks who can’t remember the periods of hurt before Champagne Charlie beat Liverpool in 87. We turned up at Highbury every two weeks played awful football and won nothing. This is a golden period in comparison. Enjoy it.

4. llama says:

Ridiculous blog. You guys write nothing but negative hype….even when our second string draws 1-1 at Anfield against a team with only one player out and a new manager.

5. admin says:

@CJ “This is a golden period in comparison”…..Won nothing since 2005

6. admin says:

@llama – how was it our 2nd string?

7. cj says:

ADMIN: Please re-read and learn what the word comparison means.

8. MidnightMoor says:

sick of all these doom and gloom negative Arsenal fans. First game of the season at Anfield draw is a good result – we might well look back on that and consider it a crucial point at the end of the season.

Just get behind the team and stop whinging.

9. Steven says:

Spot on mate.I cant agree less. Then u ask yourself, who is the vocal motivator for this team; someone who talks to the others and inspires them? Its first Fabregas and then maybe RvP.Vermaelen can do it but has he been given the go-ahead by AW? Wenger, by implication, is the cause. No tactical flexibility when playing big matches(Man Utd, Chelsea) and the derbies against Spurs. Then there’s no close study of the opposition;how can a manager of Wenger experience play Man Utd, Chelsea and Barca without giving specific instructions to the team (or certain players) about the star players in the other team to watch out for? Even Cesc compared this style with how the Spanish team studied each opposition team before the match and every player knows those ‘danger’ players to watch out for and how to stop them…with that approach at the WC, the rest is history, right? We’ve lost so embarrassingly against all our rivals in the last 2 seasons to a point where they longer see us as rivals! All because we are stuck in just one way of doing things. Then to your article: why would I bother if I knew we wont be fighting for any trophy at the end of the season? Little wonder most of our top players ‘just about try to put in a feeble effort’ and then switch off. No talk or determination to get the title from AW or even the ‘subdued’ Fabregas…we all know we’ll throw the CC to the lads and the FA cup for the EPL and CL matches just for the money…so why would the players worry? We have lost all the big matches for the same reason but AW still hasnt deemed it fit to either play a much more defensive formation in big matches or simply teach the whole team HOW TO DEFEND or at least get a coach to do it! Surely, barring a miracle, we’ll lose against Man Utd and Chelsea again…for the same reasons we lost to them in the last three seasons…so our top players go into the season, mentally ill-prepared and you wonder why they aren’t up for the fight? Get real mate!We’ve not shown any genuine desire for a fight since 2008/09!

10. goonergerry says:

Disappointed with the result? Was a good result given who we were playing, who we had missing and who we had playing who were half fit. Crazy decision to play a mid week international didn’t do many of these players a favour.
    Was the team performance flawed- yes the players were tired and not fully fit- lets not go over the top on one game at the beginning of the season.

11. Stroller says:

Jaded ? What are you on about ? Let’s be clear it wasn’t a great performance, but it was a battling one, and a valuable away point where not many others will succeed this season . No doubt you would be one of those critical because the side doesn’t doesn’t graft out points when not at their best. Either way it’s a basis for negativity whatever the outcome.

12. PTangYangKipperBang says:

Are all the articles on this site negative?

13. geeGunner says:

admin says:
    August 18, 2010 at 9:33 am
    @CJ “This is a golden period in comparison”…..Won nothing since 2005

look at from the last 10 yrs as most people look at a whole decade rather than just selecting a bit of it to prove an erroneous point – in the last 10 yrs what have we achieved?

why dont you have a day off?

the amount of negative bullshit comming from this site is like the constant drone of those bloody vu vu zellas!!

14. Gooner Legend says:

Some of you really make me laugh are u actually arsenal fans? Big L a draw at anfield is a good result, never mind if it looked like we were lacking the will to win. The first couple of games of the season don’t really tell you much. The real test will come later. Then we can judge the team. As for world class players you can’t just go out find a world class player and say yea come join we’ll pay 50 mil for you and give you 200,000 a week. Arsene and arsenal dont work like that. No excessive transfer fee no excessive wages. We can’t afford that kind of player. Wenger has a ideal way to mold players and thats trying to pick a diamond out of the rough. I know it can be frustrating how wenger operates but he as pulled his fair share of quality diamonds out of the bag as well as some absolute stinkers. Which top flight manager doesn’t?
    As for the five year trophy drought try waiting for a trophy in the 70’s and 80’s like a lot of gooners did. I aint an old boy i can only recall the games by replay but arsenal had quality players but just couldnt gel the team together to become great. Arsene has done it in the past but luckily inherited a great defence and added some quality (Campbell and toure were solid together) My point is that arsenal have had to wait in the past for trophies and quality like previous bloggers have stated. Lets not act all selfish and childlike about it. We have been spoiled rotten and i certainly didnt have to wait that long although the start of the premiership was all man utd and not a good time for me but we had some good players. We have good players now its just up to wenger to mould them. I mean they have had five years to improve! If wenger brings in a good keeper and decent centre half before the transfer window closes then good if not get behind the team. Face the facts we will not bankrupt ourselves for quality right now, why do that when in a couple of years we will find financial hardship anyway. Success is better to be had over time and within the budget rather than spend, spend, spend. Arsene has the clubs future at heart so have faith. Older gooners will tell us young ones the hardship they had, yet still 100% supported the gunners throughout the years…maybe we should all do the same.

15. GBG gunner says:

The last sentence is spot on, the team needs quality injections in the shape of ready to deliver top players.
    This will boost the young guns, in certain areas we lack steal for them to luck up to. Arshavin made an enourmos impact when he arrived, with his direct and irrational runs and goal attempts. Sol Campbell showed our young adepts what means to be determined, focused and mentaly strong.

Players like Diaby, Denilson and Song have suffered from not having Vieira/Campbell in midfield, showing what it takes to be a top player. “Belief” is not going to take you all the way, you need to add hard skin and determination, the ability to stand firm when things go wrong. Many of our own grown lack this ability, it was not instilled into them. This characteristic makes a top player, and my point is that you need to show it to get a chance. At Manu the young players show it, at Arsenal it is not all required.

16. Mabs says:

this is a bad day for arsenal football club. The fans delussions have made them think that 1-1 draw at anfield with 10 men for half the match ( and we only drawed because of some werid mistake by pepe) and no no spirt throughout the second half, is a good result. Its not about the draw, under any situation a draw against the big four is a great result and you many think that but our team lack any spirt. It seems we only believe when cesc is on the pitch. We don’t need huge big signing and we all no it ain gonna happen. We need cover for all our players, strenght in depth. If that was our 2nd team it would have got destroyed by man utd 2nd team, chelsea’s 2n team, spurs 2nd team, man city’s 2nd team. And plus i wouldn’t call nasri, arshavain, chilcy, sagna, koiscney, vermulene and diaby our 2nd team, there our 1st team players.

17. geeGunner says:

Hunt the Glory Boys, Hunt the glory boys – so i can go in to work/ school and say my teams better than yours – just like kids saying my brother harder than yours or no my dads harder than yours.

Its sadder than just trying to enjoy watching a team play good football

Some of you need to grow up!

Sad day for Arsenal football club!! – im sure in its 100 yr history its never deservered supporters like this….
    Sad day indeed.

18. BigL says:

@ North for Short
    I’m not suggesting that we go out on a Real Madrid spending spree. There is a balance between stupid spending, and spending to strengthen. What I am saying is the team need to be reinforced with 1 or 2 quality, established players, and players that the team respect. No matter how good Chamakh ultimately turns out to be, I’m sure Cesc wasn’t filled with uncontainable excitement on his flight back to London. As I said, a high profile signing will do wonders to lift the team and signal some intent.

A decent keeper like Given would fit bill.

@ everyone who believes a draw was acceptable.
    Funny how before the game most Arsenal were predicting an Arsenal win. Yet after the game, a game where we failed to break down a ten man team (nine man at one point), suddenly Liverpool are a fantastic side. – You’re laughable really.

19. ben says:

well i agree…the teams needs some serious talent…otherwise wenger will not win anything this season