Its time Arsenal had a REAL Captain!!!

Without Cesc and RVP in the team Wenger seems to be passing the armband around as if it’s a high-class prostitute.

First it was Almunia (What a joke that was) then it was Rosicky and this weekend it was a player who has only been at the club for 5mins in Squillaci?? Confused yet.

Being the Arsenal captain should mean something; it should be an honour and not be abused and passed around and treated with utter disrespect.

It shouldn’t go to our most valuable player as a token or be given to a player who wants to leave (Vieira, Henry Cesc) in a hope of keeping them happy at the club.

I can’t understand Wenger and his recent appointments as Captain?  We have not had a real captain since Vieira.

So we move on to the current sent of players.

Who could lead us? Who could be like Tony Adams or Vieira and grab the game by the scuff of the neck and set an example?

Well? For me when fit Thomas Vermaelen is the ONLY player we currently have up for this.

I’m feed up turning up and seeing a new man with the armband? It’s almost like a kids Sunday league team and the captaincy being passed around each week?

The problem is we have a bunch of players who are weak and fall apart. As recent games and years have shown, and we don’t have a Vieira or an Adams to show the kids how to win games when the going gets tough.

Who is the next player to get the captains Armband at Arsenal?

By Fred West – Proud member of the Arsenal Action Forum

Debate this more on the forumwww.arsenalaction.com/forum/

1. Larry

October 5, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Vamaelen is the man for the armband,song can deputise him in the absence of Nasri but he’s regularly booked..

2. admin

October 5, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Song? Please god no.

Clichy would be a decent Capt for me.

3. Goonerist

October 5, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Very good point made and the lack of a proper captain is symbolic of us lacking the extra push we need to go and win something. Viera was a good captain but even with him there was always the annual will he won’t he leave for Madrid story. This is something we never had with Adams and if he was injured the band could of been passed over to the equally dependable Seaman,Dixon.Winterburn et al. Who got armband on Sunday? Fucking Squilacci who has played about 2 games for us and was guilty of a few calamaties in that gae alone.
    The other story irking me this week is that of Pires training again with us and Wenger drooling over his ability, if that was the case why the hell did we let one of the most gifted players ever to wear the Arsenal shirt leave in the first place?
    Watching Arsenal is a massive exercise in frustration these days, we can all see that with a few tactics and maybe 2 or 3 more signings that we could actually win something. Grrrrrrr!!!!

4. Timmy

October 5, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Eboue for captain!!! anybody agree with me on that???

5. Darren

October 5, 2010 at 1:23 pm

In Europe the Captain is not as important as it is here in the EPL. I don’t really care who is captain as long as the team act like they are all captains, pushing each other to do the job on the field.

A captain is no more than somebody willing to rally and lead his team from the field where the manager cannot. Bu should all players be rallying each other anyway.

6. TerryWogan

October 5, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Clichy? Are you joking? Clichy would massively improve if he could concentrate on his own game. Do you really think he has the presence of mind to be our skipper? Deputy or not, stupid idea.

One thing is for certain, Cesc is a player who wanted or wants to leave the club. That is not a leader, it’s a probelm.

Vermaelen is the obvious and right choice in my view.

7. Yebs

October 5, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I agree with most of the article but Toure? Really? Suffered badly from nerves and in a great decline from 2006…glad he went and we got so much money out of it.

Gilberto I agree with…would’ve been great.

If the ballwatcher Clichy becomes captain I’ll stop going to the Arsenal…I abuse Wenger about a lot of things but his decision to never make that man captain even tho he’s been with us for 8 yrs speaks volumes

For me has to be Vermaelen (and that’s only on one season)…next in line would be Sagna, but he doesn’t shout or inspire huge amounts of confidence…after that we’re just left with kids. Wilshere wouldn’t be a bad shout…at least he cares

8. will

October 5, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Vermin should be our cap for sure. AW always says we have a team of leaders. I rarely dissagree with the boss but on this subject i really really do.

9. Goonerist

October 5, 2010 at 2:03 pm

The reality is that there is no obvious choice for captain, Cesc is the most suitable but given he’s gonna be off at the end of the season and would of been gone in a flash had we accepted the offer means that he’s not a good choice. I would go for Vermalean but that is more to do with no one else being up to it than him being an outstanding candidate. The reality is that the players are molly coddled and do not fear failure, there should be someone at the club to drum it into the players that not winning trophies is not acceptable for a club like Arsenal. Look at Chelsea with Terry, as much as I hate the guy he is a leader and then you have Lampard or Cech if he’s not around.

10. K

October 5, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Song would be laughable and Clichy not really that much better. Vermaelen looks to be the only credible candidate.

11. tony

October 5, 2010 at 2:19 pm

what about Sagna he’s hardly injured and puts in 100%

12. saf

October 5, 2010 at 2:20 pm

other than vermaelen, i’d suggest sagna as an alternative because he’s dependable. even though goals regularly get let in from his side.

13. gooner52

October 5, 2010 at 2:44 pm

the captaincy should be in this order
    Cesc
    RVP
    Verminator
    Ramsey
    Wilshere

14. Asmo

October 5, 2010 at 2:50 pm

“Henry was only given the armband to keep him at the club, same story with Cesc. How can you have a captain whose heart might not be at the club?

Gallas was without the worst appointment under Wenger, I was gutted when Wenger overlooked Toure and Gilberto and appointed a player with a history of tantrums. I have no doubt that when Toure left Arsenal and said “ he didn’t feel loved at Arsenal anymore “ The decision not to give him the armband was a major factor.”

Is this a wonderfully subtle piece of irony or are you just inexorably stupid?

15. Sampson

October 5, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Le Prof should know that Arsenal is among the big club in the world today. There is order of seniority or based on who can command respect. If Cesc is not around Wenger or even we fans should know who is to lead the team. But Le prof is using it if to entice some players to stay in the club. I’m not suggesting for him, he should know it certainly not the way he is doing it. Again making a keeper the captain seems not so encouraging; if the need arise in the field, he cannot leave his post to plea to the referee.

16. Redordead

October 5, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I have to agree with you on this, being Arsenal captain should be honour.

17. sam

October 5, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I haven’t found it in my heart to comment recently on the recent failures in the league (as per normal), as I couldn’t, I’m numb with disappointment.

Truth be told, AW & Co. have sucked the enjoyment out of following my wonderful club. I used to get well up for playing the Chavs, used to get butterflies in the stomach in anticipation, but Sunday……..nothing, fucking nothing. I’ve followed my club through thick & thin for over 40 years, and at no time before can I remember a time when I’ve ever loathed the management at all, or loathed individual players like I do now. The player’s lack of ability is bad enough, but the lack of desire, lack of balls and plain lack of effort is painful, and unacceptable at any level of football. I Lost count of the number of times Song sauntered back from a foray forward against Chelsea like he had all fucking day or had something better on his mid, while Chelsea broke and our back line struggled to cover the attack. However, he was one of many who yet again failed to deliver. The week before I sat there, like many other Gooners, watching our team fail miserably against WBA. What was worse than that woeful effort on the pitch, was actually our manager. I watched AW on and off throughout the game sit there and do nothing. He reportedly said he saw after FIVE minutes that we weren’t right, so what did our £6m a year man do? Nothing! He sat there why? Sulking coz the boys couldn’t or wouldn’t do what he told them to do, coz he couldn’t be arsed, coz he was more concerned with the up and coming ECL game in midweek or because he was himself clueless? Now a lot of you are not going to like this, but if Jose Mourinho were the Arsenal manager that day we would have won that game. Mainly because individual and collective performances like that are unacceptable under his management. But, more so because after five minutes of that garbage he would have acted and changed things.

Unfortunately the games against Sunderland, WBA and Chelsea have highlighted the same failures, and the same failings, both on the pitch and off of it from the previous 2, 3, 4 years. When your policies, methods, personnel fail you time and time again it’s time to change……….unless of course the ambition of the management is no longer to push on and actually be the best, but be satisfied with 3rd or 4th best………..comfort zone stuff, is that the ambition we want from our club, is that why we as fans are really in this game……

I’m finding it increasingly difficult to relate to this club, a club who supposedly is putting individual persons careers before the collective good, that being the club itself. A manager that bigs up how many players he’s given a careers to, so fucking what, where exactly has that benefitted Arsenal Football Club, is this all about self-promotion. Maybe we should have an open top bus parade to Islington Town Hall and parade all the fucking losers and failures that weren’t quite good enough to play for Arsenal, but now earn a living at clubs like Hull. What sort of a fucking comment was that to say Wenger ffs!!

‘Fans’ are far to ready to hide behind yet another failure on the big stage by stating that one or two players played really well, Well whoopdedoo, the next Chav fan that starts to give it to me about how they wished they could play us every week, I’ll reply with “see if I care, Jack Wilshere played really well, so ner ner ne ner ner”……..! What I want is for our team to bully Chelsea, for ALL our player to play well and wipe the fucking floor with them, like we used to do, remember those days Grovers?

What makes all this the harder to swallow is our glorious leader states that we’re not buying ‘big’ for twenty years because we’re going to follow the same business model for that period in time. WTF!!! Has no one actually noticed that the reasoning for this incredible statement is based on paying the stadium mortgage for that period? However, at (circa) £20m a year to pay the mortgage every year (for the next twenty years) where exactly will the £20, £30, £40, £50m that we make each year AFTER this mortgage is payed going to go?

My heart says those funds will go towards buying a super talent like Aguero, but my head says it will go on improved deals for the likes of continual failures like Denilson.

A friend of mine posted the following on Facebook after the Chelsea game;

“I remember the days when they couldn’t beat us!!!”

To which I replied;

“That was in the days when the manager put trophies before profits……”

Something is seriously rotten at the heart of the club I love.

18. eve

October 5, 2010 at 8:55 pm

cesc should stay captain as he is a true leader, he knows how to get the team motivated, it doesnt matter wether he leaves at the end of the season while hes here he should wear the armband, and thomas should be vice captain and take over if/when cesc goes

19. Craigie.

October 6, 2010 at 3:25 am

Vermaelen for me. Has what a captain needs. Good ability on the pitch, good attitude, great fighting spirit, says the right things

20. Van-Arend

October 10, 2010 at 4:55 am

To: SAM

What a beautiful comment!
    Right to the Core.