So the £25m had nothing to do with it right Arsene? Good to see the fans are now getting the blame for this?
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hinted that the club’s fans are to blame for striker Emmanuel Adebayor leaving north London.
The Togo international swapped the Emirates for Eastlands yesterday, signing a five-year deal at the club and following Carlos Tevez, Roque Santa Cruz and Gareth Barry to Manchester City.
However, speaking to the Mail on Sunday, Wenger wished the striker well in his future career but blamed a lack of fan support for his exit.
“We have lost a great player and we wish him well,” said the Gunners boss.
“He’s done extremely well for the club. I don’t believe that last season he got enough support. That was playing a part in my mind and in his mind, certainly, as well.”
The Arsenal boss went on to say he felt the lack of support, which stemmed from last summer’s perceived flirtations with AC Milan and Barcelona, affected Adebayor’s confidence.
“I believe he wanted to do well but he didn’t find the confidence he had the season before,” added Wenger.
“There was a little resentment you could feel through last summer.”
Despite having lost the 25-year-old, Wenger insisted the Gunners could cope and would continue to compete for the game’s top prizes.
“Believe me, he’s a great player and he’ll show that again at Manchester City,” he admitted.
“Big clubs lose big players. Milan have lost Kaka and Milan will go on. Arsenal have always lost players and continued at the top level.”
Join our forum for more debate on all the events at Arsenal
- Former Arsenal legend urges club to sign Premier League star
- Eddie Nketiah: I am still capable of helping Arsenal
- Bukayo Saka’s astonishing market value released
- Moyes says Arteta sacking would have been “ludicrous”
- Leaked Arsenal away jersey for the 2021/22 season
- ‘Sokratis has told us Arsenal’s secrets,’ claims current teammate at Olympiacos
- Arsenal now the front-runners to sign Brighton star
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Arsenal interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper