Arsenal’s Carlos Vela and Alberto Medina exposed a slow, ragged Italy defense in Mexico’s 2-1 victory over the defending World Cup champions Thursday, giving the Mexicans a major boost heading to the tournament.
Vela took a high pass from Giovani Dos Santos in the center and without any serious challenge lined up a drive from 12 yards that gave goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon no chance in the 16th minute.
Ten minutes from the final whistler, substitute Medina beat Italy’s offside trap, and from a tight right angle beat Buffon.
Italy pulled one back in the 89th minute when defender Leonardo Bonucci scored from close range after Salvatore Bocchetti hit the goalpost.
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai
- Arsenal hoping to sign Dominik Szoboszlai
- Orji Kalu wants to buy a stake in Arsenal
- Dani Ceballos reacts to reports of a scuffle with David Luiz
- Arsenal keen on Sergio Ramos
- Arsenal could block Aubameyang from playing with Gabon in future