Arsenal’s Carlos Vela and Alberto Medina exposed a slow, ragged Italy defense in Mexico’s 2-1 victory over the defending World Cup champions Thursday, giving the Mexicans a major boost heading to the tournament.
Vela took a high pass from Giovani Dos Santos in the center and without any serious challenge lined up a drive from 12 yards that gave goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon no chance in the 16th minute.
Ten minutes from the final whistler, substitute Medina beat Italy’s offside trap, and from a tight right angle beat Buffon.
Italy pulled one back in the 89th minute when defender Leonardo Bonucci scored from close range after Salvatore Bocchetti hit the goalpost.
- Shkodran Mustafi wants Arsenal exit
- Samuel Umtiti reacts to links with Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil’s agent hits out at Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta
- Alan Smith reacts to Mesut Ozil’s exclusion from the Arsenal squad
- Lucas Torreira looking to leave Arsenal permanently
- Mesut Ozil believes exclusion from Arsenal squad is because of the club’s commercial interests in China
- Opinion: Best young players Arsenal can buy in January
- Mesut Ozil reacts to his exclusion from Arsenal’s Premier League squad
- Arsenal Roundup: Mesut Ozil axed from squad, Agent confirms bid for winger
- Arsenal linked with a move for Bayern Munich midfielder