Like many of you I watched the game over the weekend and was disappointed with the result. Going to Anfield for the first game of the new season was always going to be hard, but to our credit the first half we played really well. With Arsenal I always wonder what Arsenal will turn up, sadly for the second half, despite Liverpool being down to 10 men it was the disinterested Arsenal that made an appearance.
As soon as Joe Cole went off I knew we were in for a tough game. Liverpool would shut up shop and we’d have problems, as always trying to walk the ball into the back of the net. The equalizer however was a stoke of luck, every time I look at the replay I can’t help but feel Pepe Reina deliberately scored that own goal. I guess that’s just me being overly optimistic and dreaming that he is our new keeper wanting to make sure we didn’t miss out on the points. Yeah I know conspiracy theory stuff but let me dream, at least until the end of the month.
What was clear from the game however is how jaded the team look, not jaded in the sense of the start of a new season after playing the world cup kind of jaded, but jaded as in lack of belief that they can win. Wenger giving them constant reassurance and telling them how good they are is not working.
I know the subject of transfers is a bone of contention with Arsenal fans, and every AKB this side of the M25 is going to quote Chamakh and Koscielny as new signings, but what we need is a world class signing that makes the team think ‘wow I am playing with…’
World class signings are not just always about keeping the fans happy, I really believe that making a decent quality signing, be it a keeper, defender or midfielder would give the team a massive confident boost and help inject some belief into this squad. Without it, I don’t think this team believes they can win.
Debate this more on our forum – www.arsenalaction.com/forum/
- ‘A quality signing’, ‘Impressive performance’, some Arsenal fans praise attacker’s display vs Fulham
- Mikel Arteta confirms Rob Holding will stay put at Arsenal
- Predicted Arsenal lineup (3-4-3) vs Fulham, Saliba and Ceballos start
- Arsenal duo David Luiz and Sokratis unavailable for curtain-raiser at Fulham
- Arsenal boss hints at imminent new contract for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Arsenal’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Arsenal transfer roundup: Gabriel Magalhaes deal, Houssem Aouar interest
- Arsenal’s transfer plans and expectations for the 2020/21 campaign
- Arsenal betting odds for November 2019 games
- What does the future hold for Arsenal after Sheffield United defeat?