Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain could be in doubt for the World Cup next week in Rio after suffering a lower leg injury during England’s friendly with Ecuador.
The 20 year old Arsenal player sustained the injury during a tackle with Ecuadorian Carlos Gruezo and was taken off the pitch promptly by manager Roy Hodgson, who is now concerned that the injury will rule him out for the Italy game.
After attending a scan Thursday morning it was confirmed that he has knee ligament damage which will rule him out for at least 10 days but it could be up to three weeks until he can play at full fitness which leaves Hodgson with a difficult decision to make on whether he will take him to Rio. Speaking to reporters after the game he confirms his dismay at the situation.
“My hope is that Oxlade-Chamberlain will not be seriously injured. He did ever so well and looked really sharp. It would be an enormous blow if we were to lose him, so I’d prefer to concentrate on the satisfaction and positivity I can take from the game.”
Oxlade-Chamberlain has just recovered from a groin problem which caused him to miss the end of his season with Arsenal and missing the World Cup is such a huge blow for him especially as he was one of the best players on the pitch last night.
Jack Wilshere was also taken off in the second half with Roy stating that it was down to cramp and his substitution was purely a precaution.
Final thought: Arsenal players seem to have some real injury problems at the moment, at first thought you can blame International games because that’s normally when they get injured but actually both the Ox and Wilshere have suffered injuries in the last season.
However before Oxlade-Chamberlain went off the pitch injured he put in a brilliant performance, as both an Arsenal and England fan I will be gutted if he doesn’t make it to the World Cup as he is easily one of the best players in that team right now.
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai
- Arsenal hoping to sign Dominik Szoboszlai
- Orji Kalu wants to buy a stake in Arsenal
- Dani Ceballos reacts to reports of a scuffle with David Luiz
- Arsenal keen on Sergio Ramos
- Arsenal could block Aubameyang from playing with Gabon in future