The Champion’s League returns this week for the first games of the group stage. Arsenal return to Germany to take on old friends or maybe foes in the form of Borussia Dortmund.
It’s a meeting of tactical minds when Wenger and Klopp encounter each other and their brains are displayed on the pitch when the two teams play. It is never an easy fixture to play but the football is always classy to watch albeit frustrating on occasions but Dortmund, when in full form force us to play better football because they are so organised.
Arsenal haven’t had an ideal start to the season, they remain unbeaten but they have only secured one win and that was against Crystal Palace on the opening day of the season. Our current form is not good enough to be playing Dortmund and this isn’t a team we can rescue a win with or salvage a draw, we need to go out with the aim of winning.
The only thing I can see affecting us will be our defensive issues, with Debuchy out and the recent news that Monreal is injured we only have 5 fit defenders and the possibility that Chambers maybe injured too.
The Gunners are stronger than they were in the last meeting between these two but this is the toughest test so far and it will really highlight just where Arsenal are in terms of ability.
Dortmund had a shocking opening game against Leverkausen and lost 2-0 but have since secured back-to-back wins and they are fourth in the Bundesliga and a point away from the top. They have benefited from the return of Kagawa who scored in his first game back for the club.
Arsenal will be without Debuchy who has a sprained ankle from Saturday’s game against City but he was suspended from the game anyway due to a red card in the previous game. Calum Chambers is set to make his Champion’s League debut as a result. Welbeck is very likely to start also.
Dortmund will be without Hummels who has only just returned to training today, Reus is out with an ankle injury, Gundogan (back), Blaszczykowski (thigh), Nuri Sahin (knee)
Thank-you for reading
- Former Arsenal legend urges club to sign Premier League star
- Eddie Nketiah: I am still capable of helping Arsenal
- Bukayo Saka’s astonishing market value released
- Moyes says Arteta sacking would have been “ludicrous”
- Leaked Arsenal away jersey for the 2021/22 season
- ‘Sokratis has told us Arsenal’s secrets,’ claims current teammate at Olympiacos
- Arsenal now the front-runners to sign Brighton star
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Arsenal interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper