It is being reported in today’s Mirror that Germany and Borussia Dortmund defender is a January transfer target of Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal, it has been suggested that a deal is being prepared in the region of £32 Million. How concrete this information is, is anybody’s guess as there is also rumours of Wenger only been give £20 Million to spend in the next transfer window.
Mats Hummels was a much sought after commodity after helping Germany become World Champions, to many peoples surprise he stayed at Dortmund with a reported move to Manchester United or Barcelona never materialising. Hummels has been a revelation for Jurgen Klopp’s men, he was signed from rivals Bayern Munich back in 2009 after a successful loan period at the club. Bayern Munich clearly missed a trick with Hummels as Dortmund signed him for €4 million, an absolute bargain. He was firmly at the heart of the Klopp’s Dortmund revolution helping them to win back to back Bundesliga titles in 2010/11 and 2011/12.
Arsenal need a few additions in January and it would appear a Defender is top of the list. Arsenal currently have Mathieu Debuchy and Laurent Koscielny sidelined, this has left them very light in replacements. Calum Chambers has been filling in at Right back for Debuchy but may be moved centrally with Hector Bellerin taking the Right Back role. Another possibility is that Nacho Monreal may figure centrally, but he was less than convincing when Wenger used him there in the Emirates Cup. Wenger incurred many a fan’s wrath on deadline day by not replacing the departed Thomas Vermaelen who left for Barcelona in a surprised £15 million move.
Hummels is an accomplished International and would walk into any back four in the World, a combination of Koscielny and Hummels would be a mouthwatering prospect for Arsenal fans with the ageing and less than mobile Per Mertesacker dropping to the bench.
- Former Arsenal legend urges club to sign Premier League star
- Eddie Nketiah: I am still capable of helping Arsenal
- Bukayo Saka’s astonishing market value released
- Moyes says Arteta sacking would have been “ludicrous”
- Leaked Arsenal away jersey for the 2021/22 season
- ‘Sokratis has told us Arsenal’s secrets,’ claims current teammate at Olympiacos
- Arsenal now the front-runners to sign Brighton star
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Arsenal interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper