Per Mertesacker has issued a incredibly blunt assessment of Arsenal’s attitude in training and has also gone on to criticise some of the in-game tactics that have been used in recent games.
“We are not at our best,” Mertesacker, the Arsenal vice-captain, said. “Football-wise we lack a few things. We have to be honest to ourselves and train harder. Everyone knows that it is a difficult start to the season for us and confidence is not how we want it. Again, it is away from home on Saturday and again I think we have to do better with our own possession, to put more pressure on them [opponents], not to lose so many balls in the middle of the park, to play more in wide areas”.
“We didn’t even have time to celebrate properly [after the World Cup]. You realise, month after month, what happened, but we are still not there. Maybe in five or 10 years, we can really realise what was going on there.”
It has been a difficult start to the season for Arsenal who have only won 2 of their first 8 games these were a scrappy 2-1 win on the opening day of the season and a 3-0 away win at Aston Villa who had a virus going through their squad. This has not exactly been the form of a title contender, Wenger’s men are currently 7th but a whopping 11 points off league leaders Chelsea who have already beaten Arsenal this season.
- Former Arsenal legend urges club to sign Premier League star
- Eddie Nketiah: I am still capable of helping Arsenal
- Bukayo Saka’s astonishing market value released
- Moyes says Arteta sacking would have been “ludicrous”
- Leaked Arsenal away jersey for the 2021/22 season
- ‘Sokratis has told us Arsenal’s secrets,’ claims current teammate at Olympiacos
- Arsenal now the front-runners to sign Brighton star
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Arsenal interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper