Per Mertesacker has issued a incredibly blunt assessment of Arsenal’s attitude in training and has also gone on to criticise some of the in-game tactics that have been used in recent games.
“We are not at our best,” Mertesacker, the Arsenal vice-captain, said. “Football-wise we lack a few things. We have to be honest to ourselves and train harder. Everyone knows that it is a difficult start to the season for us and confidence is not how we want it. Again, it is away from home on Saturday and again I think we have to do better with our own possession, to put more pressure on them [opponents], not to lose so many balls in the middle of the park, to play more in wide areas”.
“We didn’t even have time to celebrate properly [after the World Cup]. You realise, month after month, what happened, but we are still not there. Maybe in five or 10 years, we can really realise what was going on there.”
It has been a difficult start to the season for Arsenal who have only won 2 of their first 8 games these were a scrappy 2-1 win on the opening day of the season and a 3-0 away win at Aston Villa who had a virus going through their squad. This has not exactly been the form of a title contender, Wenger’s men are currently 7th but a whopping 11 points off league leaders Chelsea who have already beaten Arsenal this season.
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai
- Arsenal hoping to sign Dominik Szoboszlai
- Orji Kalu wants to buy a stake in Arsenal
- Dani Ceballos reacts to reports of a scuffle with David Luiz
- Arsenal keen on Sergio Ramos
- Arsenal could block Aubameyang from playing with Gabon in future