The Dutch Celtic defender was speaking after his sides 2-1 win over Astra Giurgiu at Parkhead on Thursday and was being very coy amid rumours of a January departure.
“Arsenal are an amazing club,” he said “It’s a big club with a great history but so are Celtic and I’m very happy here just now. I just want to play well and we will see what happens in the future. There are stories but until there are bids I can’t say anything.
“I have ambitions but Celtic is an amazing club with a lot ofis no rush to leave but you never know in the future.”
Arsene Wenger is clearly in need of reinforcements in the new year all over the pitch but none more so defensively and Van Dijk would fit the bill perfectly. The 22 year old is expected to be available for around £10 Million, has good positional sense and has great aerial ability.
Van Dijk was bought by Neil Lennon in 2013 for just £2 Million from Groningen and has already showed his worth, the Dutchman was voted Celtic’s player of the year last campaign and will be very difficult to keep hold of. The board are unlikely to reject an offer of around £10 Million as they would favour making a profit on the player rather than investing in on-field achievements.
Arsene Wenger currently has an injury crisis with Mathieu Debuchy and Laurent Koscielny still injured, Nacho Monreal has been filling in at Centre back which has been calamitous at best. Wenger has been paying the price for not replacing Thomas Vermaelen and currently only has just 6 registered defenders in the first team squad which wouldn’t be anywhere near enough without any injuries.
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain interested in signing Arsenal vice-captain Hector Bellerin
- Predicted Arsenal line-up For Europa League game against Benfica
- Premier League Preview: Arsenal vs Leeds United
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai