Although yesterday brought a much needed three points for Arsenal and Arsene Wenger there are yet more injury concerns that will leave Wenger’s men without any recognised defender in reserve due to a lack of reinforcements bought in the Summer.
Kieran Gibbs has been in very good form this season and even earned a call up to Roy Hodgson’s England squad and featured in their 5-0 win against minnows San Marino earlier this month. Gibbs hobbled off against Sunderland yesterday afternoon raising yet more questions about training regimes, attitude and the lack of squad investment in key areas.
“It looks to me a hip problem but for everybody who is very concerned about our shortness at the back, I felt that (Nacho) Monreal and (Per) Mertesacker had an outstanding game,” Wenger said.
“Of course we have many players injured at the back but I think that overall we have done very well.”
These comments will only help fuel the discontent that many fans will be feeling that the real squad issues are still not being addressed. There is a level of denial and always has been with Wenger when it comes to being pushed on certain subjects.
This leaves Arsenal extremely light in respect of defenders in the first team set up. Injuries to French duo Mathieu Debuchy and Laurent Koscielny had both highlighted a serious lack of depth and now Gibbs absence is just an indictment of resources not being used in the appropriate way.
Arsenal finished with Hector Bellerin (RB), Per Mertesacker (RCB), Calum Chambers (LCB) and Nacho Monreal (LB). Debuchy is injured long term and Koscielny is missing for at least another 2-3 weeks.
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai
- Arsenal hoping to sign Dominik Szoboszlai
- Orji Kalu wants to buy a stake in Arsenal
- Dani Ceballos reacts to reports of a scuffle with David Luiz
- Arsenal keen on Sergio Ramos
- Arsenal could block Aubameyang from playing with Gabon in future