According to the Express Arsene Wenger is very interested in bringing the Spaniard to the Emirates in January.
Illarramendi has found it difficult to secure a regular place in Carlo Ancelotti’s Madrid squad and is reportedly available for a loan deal in January. Madrid are well stocked in that position with the likes of Toni kroos, Isco, Luka Modric and Sami Khedira who have all been preferred to the former Real Sociedad man.
The Spanish defensive midfielder moved to Real Madrid from his boyhood club Real Sociedad back in 2013 for a fee in the region of £25 million but has only made 35 appearances, he has featured 6 times this season but only featured for a total of 189 minutes in those matches.
He would feel a void that has been very obvious for sometime at the Emirates, he is a defensive midfield player by trade but the one concern would be that he is of a similar mold to Mathieu Flamini and doesn’t necessarily have the presence of a player like Nemanja Matic of Chelsea or Manchester City’s Yaya Toure but nevertheless he would be a very good option to have. Taking Illarramendi on loan with an option to buy would be a very shrewd bit of business.
Illarramendi’s career has suffered since his move from Real Sociedad and he requires a move to pastures new to get back to his best, he was part of the Sociedad side in 2012/13 that qualified for the Champions League against all odds for the first time in a decade, he was very much an integral part in that success. The midfielder had previously been compared to his former team mate Xabi Alonso not the worst comparison in the world and if he can live up to the compliment he would be a fantastic signing for whoever blinks first in January.
Arsenal have to address this lack of cover for the back four and it needs to be addressed in January, there are still only two defensive midfielders at the club; Flamini and Mikel Arteta. Failure to sign a defensive midfielder this season will surely see Wenger’s side drop out of the top four.
- ‘A quality signing’, ‘Impressive performance’, some Arsenal fans praise attacker’s display vs Fulham
- Mikel Arteta confirms Rob Holding will stay put at Arsenal
- Predicted Arsenal lineup (3-4-3) vs Fulham, Saliba and Ceballos start
- Arsenal duo David Luiz and Sokratis unavailable for curtain-raiser at Fulham
- Arsenal boss hints at imminent new contract for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Arsenal’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Arsenal transfer roundup: Gabriel Magalhaes deal, Houssem Aouar interest
- Arsenal’s transfer plans and expectations for the 2020/21 campaign
- Arsenal betting odds for November 2019 games
- What does the future hold for Arsenal after Sheffield United defeat?