French Striker Olivier Giroud is expected to give Arsene Wenger a huge boost by returning to full training in three weeks time.
Giroud has been sidelined due to an ankle injury he picked up in the 2-2 draw against Everton on the 23rd August and has been a miss for Arsenal who have been light in the attacking third.
His rehabilitation has gone very well and he has due to come back way ahead of schedule, Giroud was expected back mid December at the earliest but now looks in contention for a place in the squad for the visit of West Bromwich Albion on 29th November.
“Olivier is coming along very well. He’s three weeks ahead of schedule and I think he will join in normal training after the international break,” said Wenger.
“Of course, it’s a big boost. He’s miles ahead of schedule.”
Before his injury Giroud had got the late equaliser at Goodison Park and was looking in decent shape, the French striker was much maligned last season and this was seen to be a make or break season for the former Montpellier forward.
In his absence Danny Welbeck has been a permanent starter with Alexis Sanchez figuring as a target man on a few occasions but without really impressing.
It is still yet unsure whether Wenger will go with a front 2 when Giroud returns to first team duties, back in October he didn’t seem to certain either.
“Welbeck and [Giroud] can play together in the centre or separately,” he said. “Welbeck also played on one side to Manchester United.
“Welbeck played in the same team with [Wayne] Rooney and [Robin] van Persie. He can play down the sides.”
Although he has taken his fair share of criticism Giroud brings something to the team that no-one else does, that is his aerial ability and his strength which has been sorely missed.
Since his move from Montpellier to the Emirates in 2012 the Frenchman has scored 28 goals in 72 appearances in the Premier League, which includes 16 goals in 36 Premier League games from last season.
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai
- Arsenal hoping to sign Dominik Szoboszlai
- Orji Kalu wants to buy a stake in Arsenal
- Dani Ceballos reacts to reports of a scuffle with David Luiz
- Arsenal keen on Sergio Ramos
- Arsenal could block Aubameyang from playing with Gabon in future