Olivier Giroud was at it again in the FA Cup for Arsenal on Sunday as he finished off a high flying Championship side in the shape of Middlesbrough, Aitor karanka’s side disposed of Manchester City in the previous round but Arsenal had done their home work and were determined to progress.
Giroud was understandably frustrated at being subbed on the 83 minute mark as he was in pursuit of what would have been a well deserved hat trick, the French target man put Arsenal ahead finishing off a brilliant team move in which all 11 players touched the ball culminating in a calculated close range effort from Giroud on 27 minutes. Giroud was at it again just 2 minutes later, escaping his marker and converting an Alexis Sanchez corner. That killed off a Middlesbrough side that were hopeful of producing another good away performance and prolonging their cup run.
The French International has been nothing short of exceptional since his return scoring 8 goals in 14 appearances, Giroud suffered an ankle injury at Goodison Park which saw him absent from the Arsenal side for 3 months.
His absence which may have been a bit of a blessing for many fans as it persuaded the normally stringent Arsene Wenger to dip into the transfer market acquiring Danny Welbeck.
Giroud offers an extra dimension to Arsenal, not only is he a good out ball when the defensive third are under pressure but when he is in the mood he can outpower any top defence as he showed at the Etihad where he capped off a well earned 2-0 victory against the Premier League champions.
After being substituted on Sunday Giroud showed anger at being replaced, where many may see an issue it is surely only natural for a professional to react in such a way. Giroud has returned a much better player, his desire is there for all to see and he wears his heart on his sleeve. He has had his critics but in his third season it looks like he has finally settled and looks like he has a full understanding of what it takes to succeed as a Centre Forward in the Premier League.
- Former Arsenal legend urges club to sign Premier League star
- Eddie Nketiah: I am still capable of helping Arsenal
- Bukayo Saka’s astonishing market value released
- Moyes says Arteta sacking would have been “ludicrous”
- Leaked Arsenal away jersey for the 2021/22 season
- ‘Sokratis has told us Arsenal’s secrets,’ claims current teammate at Olympiacos
- Arsenal now the front-runners to sign Brighton star
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Arsenal interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper