It has been reported in the Daily Express that Arsenal are lining up an audacious £80 million bid this Summer for French international midfielder Paul Pogba which would completely smash their current record of £42 million for German Mesut Ozil when he joined from Real Madrid back in 2013.
The 21 year old Juventus midfielder is expected to leave Serie A in the Summer despite signing a new deal last October which saw his wages treble from £23,000 a week up to £70,000 and tied down until 2019. It is thought that Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid are also very keen in acquiring Pogba who left Old Trafford on a free transfer 2012.
Pogba will be a much sought after player in the Summer and has been in good form once again this season making 21 Serie A appearances and scoring 6 goals. He has rightfully been compared to former Arsenal Captain Patrick Vieira who during the World Cup described the Juventus player as “The future of football”.
The emergence of Francis Coquelin this season may have convinced Arsene Wenger that there was no rush to throw money at the problem in January, but with Coquelin being the only candidate capable of playing in front of the back four effectively there is still a need for strengthening in that area.
There is no doubting Pogba’s talent and even though the £80 million fee quoted is a lot it is hard to argue that he would not be worth every penny. the Frenchman is quick, strong, skillful and powerful, if Wenger was able to pull off such a deal it would be a huge signal of intent even more so than the signings of Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez.
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain interested in signing Arsenal vice-captain Hector Bellerin
- Predicted Arsenal line-up For Europa League game against Benfica
- Premier League Preview: Arsenal vs Leeds United
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai