Lukas Podolski says he expects to return to Arsenal to see out the last year of his contract
The 30 year old German striker has spent most of the season on the bench, firstly at Arsenal and then struggled to make much impact on loan at Serie A side Inter Milan.
Inter Milan were not interesting in making the move permanent, now Podolski looks set to return to the Emirates for pre-season.
“There’s bound to be speculation in the coming weeks, but at the moment it looks like I will be going back to London,” Podolski said.
“Things can always change, but if needs be I will remain at Arsenal next season. They are a great club and I think I can help them. I can confirm there has been no interest from Werder Bremen.”
Podolski only managed one goal for Inter in Serie A but believes he still has a lot of football left in him.
“You can take experience from everywhere you play abroad, even if it was not my best year from a sporting perspective.”
“But I still have many years ahead of me and a burning desire to play football,” added the World Cup winner.
Podolski is expected to collect his 124th cap for Germany on Wednesday when they take on the USA and is still highly thought of in their camp.
“In my eyes, he is often underrated,” said Germany captain Bastian Schweinsteiger. “He’s got fewer grey hairs than me and that’s probably because he’s had more fun in his life than I’ve had. He’s always in a good mood.”
It is still unknown whether he will be part of Arsene Wenger‘s plans next season, whether he will see the last year of his contract on loan or in the Arsenal wilderness.
- Liverpool vs Arsenal Preview
- ‘A quality signing’, ‘Impressive performance’, some Arsenal fans praise attacker’s display vs Fulham
- Mikel Arteta confirms Rob Holding will stay put at Arsenal
- Predicted Arsenal lineup (3-4-3) vs Fulham, Saliba and Ceballos start
- Arsenal duo David Luiz and Sokratis unavailable for curtain-raiser at Fulham
- Arsenal boss hints at imminent new contract for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Arsenal’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Arsenal transfer roundup: Gabriel Magalhaes deal, Houssem Aouar interest
- Arsenal’s transfer plans and expectations for the 2020/21 campaign
- Arsenal betting odds for November 2019 games