It has been reported in The Metro that Paris Saint-Germain striker Edinson Cavani is now a key target for Arsene Wenger as he looks to strengthen his striking options, with the transfer deadline fast approaching.
It was also stated that Cavani is open to a switch to the premier league after falling out with PSG coach Laurent Blanc last season, the forward was unhappy with being played in a wide role instead of his preferred centre forward position.
There has not been a formal bid made yet, but with the transfer window closing on the 1st September it is believed that the Paris club are readying themselves for a bid.
Benzema deal is now looking less and less likely
Karim Benzema is a name that has been linked with Arsenal all summer long, but now it looks like the Frenchman will stay with Rafa Benitez at Real Madrid for at least this season. Benitez has been vocal about the striker in the last month which would suggest that any chance of Benzema heading to the Emirates is very slim.
Reports suggest that Cavani would be available for around £35 million, which is £10 million less than it is believed Benzema would cost. PSG’s 28-year-old striker netted 18 times in 35 Ligue 1 appearances last season.
Giroud needs competition for his place
Olivier Giroud scored for Arsenal at the weekend, but there is still a need for more striking options for the Gunners who are short of recognised strikers after selling Lukas Podolski and loaning out Chuba Akpom and Yaya Sanogo this season.
Time is running out for Wenger to add a world class striker. After being linked with Benzema, Jackson Martinez, Carlos Bacca, Marco Reus, Mario Gotze and Cavani in recent weeks it is of huge importance that Arsenal show their intent for the third season running with a marquee signing.
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai
- Arsenal hoping to sign Dominik Szoboszlai
- Orji Kalu wants to buy a stake in Arsenal
- Dani Ceballos reacts to reports of a scuffle with David Luiz
- Arsenal keen on Sergio Ramos
- Arsenal could block Aubameyang from playing with Gabon in future