Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta has said that the club’s supporters can relax over the future of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who appears on the cusp of signing a new contract.
Aubameyang’s current deal with the Gunners expires in June next year and that has led to the constant speculation regarding his position over the past few months.
On a number of occasions, it has been reported that he has agreed to a contract renewal, but no official announcement has been made by the north London giants.
Earlier this week, the reliable David Ornstein confirmed through The Athletic that the forward will put pen-to-paper on a three-year deal, which will enable him to become the highest earner at the club.
When asked for an update in the press conference prior to the Fulham game, Arteta said that the club’s faithful should have nothing to worry about regarding their captain, he told: “I think they can be pretty relaxed”.
Aubameyang, 31, has been the Gunners’ top-scorer in the Premier League over the past two seasons with 22 goals apiece and he will play a key role in their quest to make the top four this season.
The club are scheduled to play the first game of the new Premier League season with an away trip to Fulham on Saturday afternoon and Arteta will be aiming to begin on a positive note with a victory.
The Gunners have traditionally struggled in the curtain-raiser and have won just three of the previous 10 games in the opening matchday of the Premier League campaign.
They beat Newcastle United 1-0 in their opener at St. James Park last term. The club have not achieved back-to-back opening day victories since the 2008/09 and 2009/10 seasons.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- ‘A quality signing’, ‘Impressive performance’, some Arsenal fans praise attacker’s display vs Fulham
- Mikel Arteta confirms Rob Holding will stay put at Arsenal
- Predicted Arsenal lineup (3-4-3) vs Fulham, Saliba and Ceballos start
- Arsenal duo David Luiz and Sokratis unavailable for curtain-raiser at Fulham
- Arsenal boss hints at imminent new contract for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Arsenal’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Arsenal transfer roundup: Gabriel Magalhaes deal, Houssem Aouar interest
- Arsenal’s transfer plans and expectations for the 2020/21 campaign
- Arsenal betting odds for November 2019 games
- What does the future hold for Arsenal after Sheffield United defeat?