Arsenal signed Thomas partey from Atletico Madrid on deadline day.
The 27 year old midfielder’s father has now revealed the Partey was waiting for an offer from a big club amid interest from Juventus and Chelsea.
It seems that the Gunners were his first preference and the Arsenal fans will be delighted with the revelation.
The midfielder’s father also revealed that he instructed the player to join a club where there is no Champions League football and help them secure a top four finish.
His father said: “We actually weren’t disturbed by anything because we hoped a bigger team will come for Partey. We were aware of the [other teams that were interested]: Juventus, Chelsea and so forth. So through all of this we knew God was with us. From that minute we started to dance to ‘Party after Party’. What I [noticed] was that he was willing to play where there is Champions League [football] but [I suggested to him that] can’t he be where there is no Champions League and help them get into the Champions League?”.
Arsenal have missed out on Champions League football in the recent years and they will be determined to get back into the competition at the end of this season.
It will be interesting to see if Partey can help them get back amongst the European elite.
Arsenal have spent £45 million on the midfielder and they will be hoping for an instant impact this season.
Partey was a big success in Spain and he has the quality to succeed in the Premier League as well. The midfielder showed his quality against the likes of Liverpool in the Champions League and it will be interesting to see if he gets a chance to impress for his new club this weekend.
- Lucas Torreira looking to leave Arsenal permanently
- Mesut Ozil believes exclusion from Arsenal squad is because of the club’s commercial interests in China
- Opinion: Best young players Arsenal can buy in January
- Mesut Ozil reacts to his exclusion from Arsenal’s Premier League squad
- Arsenal Roundup: Mesut Ozil axed from squad, Agent confirms bid for winger
- Arsenal linked with a move for Bayern Munich midfielder
- Ian Wright heaps praise on Arsenal trio after Man City defeat
- Former scout reveals Arsenal were “very, very close” to signing Lionel Messi
- Arsenal plotting January move for Man Utd target Pau Torres
- Mikel Arteta reacts as the FA reject Project Big Picture proposal