What a shame!! Adebayor gets off to a horrible start and misses a sitter as Man City lose 1-0…Thank you for the £25m for Adecanthitabarndoor
NEW signing Emmanuel Adebayor made a miserable debut for moneybags Manchester City as they slumped to defeat against Kaizer Chiefs in Pretoria.
More than 30,000 fans turned up at the Loftus Versfeld Stadium, but were let down by a below-par City, who ended their tour of South Africa on a low — they lost two and won one match in the Vodacom Challenge tournament.
Jeffrey Ntuka’s effort four minutes before half-time proved the difference between the two sides.
Former Arsenal striker Adebayor, one of City’s biggest summer signings at £25milliion, was handed a first start by boss Mark Hughes, while another new boy, £12m Gareth Barry also played alongside the likes of Shay Given, Nigel de Jong, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Craig Bellamy.
After a quiet start Martin Petrov and Adebayor both were on the wrong end of clattering challenges during the opening 15 minutes, but survived to play on.
But there was bad news about City skipper Richard Dunne who went off just before half time with a knee injury.
Given was forced to make the first real save on 41 minutes when Nkosinathi Nhleko’s shot caused the Republic of Ireland international to dive low to his left and tip the ball wide.
The resulting George Lebese corner caused panic in the penalty area and Ntuka drove the ball home from close-range to hand his side the winner.
City kept the same players on after the restart with Adebayor’s timely run 10 minutes in almost paying dividends, but, after seeing his initial cross-goal pass come back into his path, the Togo striker blazed over when he should have hit the target
Join the forum www.arsenalaction.com
- Former Arsenal legend urges club to sign Premier League star
- Eddie Nketiah: I am still capable of helping Arsenal
- Bukayo Saka’s astonishing market value released
- Moyes says Arteta sacking would have been “ludicrous”
- Leaked Arsenal away jersey for the 2021/22 season
- ‘Sokratis has told us Arsenal’s secrets,’ claims current teammate at Olympiacos
- Arsenal now the front-runners to sign Brighton star
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Arsenal interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper