Arsenal Football Club has announced the signing of defender Laurent Koscielny from French Ligue 1 side Lorient on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.
Full Name Laurent Koscielny
Born September 10, 1985, Tulle, France
Previous Clubs Lorient (France), 2009-2010 – 40 appearances, 3 goals
Tours (France), 2007-2009 – 34 appearances, 4 goals
En Avant Guingamp (France), 2004-2007, 40 appearances, 0 goals
Transfer details Long-term contract for an undisclosed fee
Squad Number 6
Although born in France, uncapped Koscielny, who helped Lorient to seventh place in the French league championship last season, would also qualify to represent the Poland national team as a result of his family roots.
Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Koscielny is a central defender with great ability who performed extremely well last season for Lorient. We identified him as a very strong centre half, who has made big progress very quickly. He has shown he is mentally strong, he’s a fighter and a very strong competitor. Koscielny is a great addition to our squad.”
New Arsenal player Koscielny said: “I’m very excited to be joining Arsenal. They are one of the biggest teams in Europe with many great players. I’m really looking forward to playing in the English Premier League and the Champions League with my new club. Also, in Arsène Wenger, Arsenal has one of the best managers in the world and I can’t wait to work with him and do my best for the Arsenal supporters.”
We have been waiting for the first defensive signing of this season and here he is, finally. He seems to have a lot of passion and if he has an impact like Vermaelen did last season then he will be a steal for the alleged 8.5m. He doesn’t have much top level experience but Wenger wouldn’t of persued him like he did unless he really believed he was good enough and was able to cope with the premier league, only time will tell. I would like to see us sign another CB but there is still plenty of time for that. I’m just glad right now that we have our man.
Welcome to Arsenal Laurent. Wear the shirt with pride and look forward to seeing you play.
Visit the forum to debate www.ArsenalAction.com/forum
- ‘A quality signing’, ‘Impressive performance’, some Arsenal fans praise attacker’s display vs Fulham
- Mikel Arteta confirms Rob Holding will stay put at Arsenal
- Predicted Arsenal lineup (3-4-3) vs Fulham, Saliba and Ceballos start
- Arsenal duo David Luiz and Sokratis unavailable for curtain-raiser at Fulham
- Arsenal boss hints at imminent new contract for Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
- Arsenal’s start to the 2020/21 Premier League season analysed
- Arsenal transfer roundup: Gabriel Magalhaes deal, Houssem Aouar interest
- Arsenal’s transfer plans and expectations for the 2020/21 campaign
- Arsenal betting odds for November 2019 games
- What does the future hold for Arsenal after Sheffield United defeat?