Arsenal Football Club has announced the signing of defender Laurent Koscielny from French Ligue 1 side Lorient on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.
Full Name Laurent Koscielny
Born September 10, 1985, Tulle, France
Previous Clubs Lorient (France), 2009-2010 – 40 appearances, 3 goals
Tours (France), 2007-2009 – 34 appearances, 4 goals
En Avant Guingamp (France), 2004-2007, 40 appearances, 0 goals
Transfer details Long-term contract for an undisclosed fee
Squad Number 6
Although born in France, uncapped Koscielny, who helped Lorient to seventh place in the French league championship last season, would also qualify to represent the Poland national team as a result of his family roots.
Manager Arsène Wenger said: “Koscielny is a central defender with great ability who performed extremely well last season for Lorient. We identified him as a very strong centre half, who has made big progress very quickly. He has shown he is mentally strong, he’s a fighter and a very strong competitor. Koscielny is a great addition to our squad.”
New Arsenal player Koscielny said: “I’m very excited to be joining Arsenal. They are one of the biggest teams in Europe with many great players. I’m really looking forward to playing in the English Premier League and the Champions League with my new club. Also, in Arsène Wenger, Arsenal has one of the best managers in the world and I can’t wait to work with him and do my best for the Arsenal supporters.”
We have been waiting for the first defensive signing of this season and here he is, finally. He seems to have a lot of passion and if he has an impact like Vermaelen did last season then he will be a steal for the alleged 8.5m. He doesn’t have much top level experience but Wenger wouldn’t of persued him like he did unless he really believed he was good enough and was able to cope with the premier league, only time will tell. I would like to see us sign another CB but there is still plenty of time for that. I’m just glad right now that we have our man.
Welcome to Arsenal Laurent. Wear the shirt with pride and look forward to seeing you play.
Visit the forum to debate www.ArsenalAction.com/forum
- Former Arsenal legend urges club to sign Premier League star
- Eddie Nketiah: I am still capable of helping Arsenal
- Bukayo Saka’s astonishing market value released
- Moyes says Arteta sacking would have been “ludicrous”
- Leaked Arsenal away jersey for the 2021/22 season
- ‘Sokratis has told us Arsenal’s secrets,’ claims current teammate at Olympiacos
- Arsenal now the front-runners to sign Brighton star
- Arsenal will listen to offers for Reiss Nelson
- Arsenal ready to offer Bellerin for Barcelona man
- Arsenal interested in signing Newcastle United goalkeeper