Recent comments by Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis that the club are now in a position to go head-to-head with the big spenders in the Premier League will have come as music to the ears of the Gunners faithful.
Stringent spending and sensible running of the club by Arsene Wenger over the last ten years sees Arsenal as a well-run outfit, but has caused frustration to the fans due to being outgunned in the transfer market.
Despite the fact that Financial Fair Play rulings are imminent, Arsenal are in a position to splash the cash if the choose to this summer, and have been linked with a host of top-drawer players on online betting sites, including Wayne Rooney and Gonzalo Higuain.
The problem that Gunners fans will realise as the transfer window rumbles on, is that Wenger may have cash to spend, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that he will actually spend it.
Practical expenditure and living within the club’s means have become second nature to the French coach, and this has avoided the huge debts that other rivals currently have to bare. Just because all of a sudden there is a bit of extra revenue that can be spent, won’t mean that Wenger will splurge it – there will be no reckless spending or paying over the odds.
What will be interesting however is whether the club will break their current transfer record this summer to bring in a player of real quality to get the club back into the Premier League title reckoning.
Should Real Madrid play hardball and demand a certain figure that Wenger deems as unworthy for someone like Higuain, despite the striker having the ability to take the club to the next level, Arsenal may miss out on a player of real quality.
All Arsenal fans will urge Wenger to go out and strengthen the squad by spending what is necessary to attain players of quality. However, with no deals in place as yet, it may well be careful business as usual in north London.
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai
- Arsenal hoping to sign Dominik Szoboszlai
- Orji Kalu wants to buy a stake in Arsenal
- Dani Ceballos reacts to reports of a scuffle with David Luiz
- Arsenal keen on Sergio Ramos
- Arsenal could block Aubameyang from playing with Gabon in future