Lukas Podolski has struggled to hold down a first team place at the Emirates and his National coach is the latest name to try and persuade the forward to leave the Emirates.
Speaking before Germany’s Euro 2016 qualifier against Gibralter, Loew confirmed his intention to play Podolski from the start but was worried about his club situation.
“It’s in my plans that Podolski will play from the start.
“I’m aware he doesn’t play a lot right now for Arsenal.
“He needs to play competitive games. Sometimes he lacks the physical condition to play the full 90 minutes.
“He has to think about his situation.
“I’m still convinced about his abilities, but he needs high intensity.”
Podolski is a fan favourite but has found first team chances at a premium in his spell at Arsenal, he has only appeared 4 times thus far this campaign totaling only 50 minutes of Premier League Football. Loew’s comments will definitely make Podolski re-evaluate his future at Arsenal where his performances have been below par (predominately due to a lack of match fitness). Last season saw Podolski take part in 20 League games scoring 8 times but he only played 90 minutes 5 times in the League and was used very much as a bit part player.
The German forward was linked with a move away from the Emirates in the Summer and many expected a move back to his homeland but nothing materialised. Podolski has been frustrated by the way he has been treated by Wenger who once labeled him as “the best finisher at the club”, if this is true then why the lack of game time? Wenger has a history of dropping players that show him “a lack of respect” and maybe this would explain Podolski’s absence. Another theory is that Wenger is less than impressed by the German’s work rate, this would appear more likely as has been the case in big games that Podolski has taken part in.
It now looks a certainty that Podolski will be leaving the Emirates in January and who could blame him, He is 29 and wants to prolong his International career which is in huge jeopardy if he resigns himself to staying put and seeing out his days in the wilderness.
- 3 positions Arsenal must strengthen in January
- Arsenal vs Chelsea Preview, Team News and Key Stats
- Arsenal vs Southampton preview, team news, line-ups and prediction
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Arsenal – North London derby preview
- Arsenal Considering Buy-To-Loan Deal For Dominik Szoboszlai
- Arsenal hoping to sign Dominik Szoboszlai
- Orji Kalu wants to buy a stake in Arsenal
- Dani Ceballos reacts to reports of a scuffle with David Luiz
- Arsenal keen on Sergio Ramos
- Arsenal could block Aubameyang from playing with Gabon in future